Every business owner should understand how to manage statutory holiday entitlement and pay for their employees. This article provides employers with an overview of British Columbia’s statutory holidays in 2021 and goes over how to properly calculate statutory holiday pay.
British Columbia’s Employment Standards Act (ESA) outlines the statutory holidays in BC for employees. Employers are obligated to provide employees with time off and pay for the following BC statutory holidays:
British Columbia Statutory Holidays Applicable to Employers
- New Year’s Day: Friday, January 1, 2021
- Family Day: Monday, February 15, 2021
- Good Friday: Friday, April 2, 2021
- Victoria Day: Monday, May 24, 2021
- Canada Day: Thursday, July 1, 2021
- B.C. Day: Monday, August 2, 2021
- Labour Day: Monday, September 6, 2021
- Thanksgiving Day: Monday, October 11, 2021
- Remembrance Day: Thursday, November 11, 2021
- Christmas Day: Saturday, December 25, 2021
How is Statutory Pay Calculated in British Columbia?
Statutory pay equals an average day’s pay. BC employees are entitled to statutory holiday pay if they work or take the day off.
Statutory holiday pay = Total wages ÷ number of days worked in the pay period leading up to the statutory holiday
Employers should base their calculations on the last 30 days worked prior to the statutory holiday–including vacation days.
Do all employees qualify for statutory holiday pay?
Employees in British Columbia are eligible for general holidays off as well as holiday pay, if:
- They have been employed for 30 calendars
- Have worked 15 of the 30 days prior to the statutory holiday
Substituting another day for a statutory holiday
Employers and employees can agree in writing to substitute another day for a statutory day. The agreed upon substitution day must be treated the same as a regular statutory holiday.
Does your employee handbook include a policy for statutory holiday time off?
If you are unsure about your employer responsibilities during statutory holidays in British Columbia, we can help. Consult our HR experts at 1 (833) 247-3652 to get advice on managing employees’ time off and to get help with calculating statutory holiday pay.