Ontario's Property Tax and Energy Cost Rebates Program

Peninsula Team

November 05 2020

From November 7, 2020, onward, public health units in Ontario will be divided into five levels based on their COVID-19 case numbers. These are: Green-Prevent, Yellow-Protect, Orange-Restrict, Red-Control, and Lockdown (the last resort). 

This categorization is part of the provincial government’s Keeping Ontario Safe and Open Framework. It'll help the province scale up (and roll back) public health restrictions in a region based on its COVID-19 case surges. 

Each level sets specific public health measures to be followed across different sectors.

Starting November 16, 2020, Ontario businesses required to close or restrict services due to provincial public health measures (modified Stage 2 restrictions or in areas classified as Red-Control or Lockdown) will be eligible to apply for temporary property tax and energy cost rebates, provided as grants.

What costs does the program cover?

Businesses that are eligible could get funds for:

  • Municipal and education property taxes
  • Energy costs (including electricity and natural gas or propane and heating oil)

The grants will cover the period during which the targeted public health restrictions are in effect.

Property tax rebates will be merged with federal support provided through the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS).

Applicants can expect to get the funds within a few weeks of filing a complete application.

What businesses are eligible to apply for rebates?

Businesses affected by restrictions due to moving back into modified Stage 2 restrictions can apply for funds.

Moving forward, businesses in units that are in Red-Control or Lockdown category will also qualify for the support.

At present, the grants apply to businesses in Ottawa, Peel, Toronto and York region.

The types of businesses that qualify for these funds include:

  • Restaurants and bars
  • Gyms, facilities for indoor sports and recreational fitness activities
  • Performing arts and cinemas
  • Bingo halls, gaming establishments, casinos, conference and convention centres
  • Community centres, multi-purpose facilities and museums
  • Personal care services (but not oxygen bars)
  • Racing venues
  • Meeting or event space
  • In-person teaching and instruction

What documents would I need to apply?

Applicants must provide proof of costs and information about their business's revenue decline. It should be in line with the applicant's submission for the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy.

For property tax rebates, you'll need your property tax bills. For energy cost rebates, you'll need a digital copy of your first energy bill received on or after the day Stage 2 restrictions came into place in your region.

How to apply?

A single application form for both property tax and energy cost rebates will be available from November 16, 2020.

Need support navigating business issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic?

To get advice on how to maintain your business during the pandemic, call an expert today: 1 (888) 247-3652.

Suggested Resources