Employment tribunal claims have skyrocketed
Even though this is the fourth quarter since tribunal fees were removed in July 2017, the statistics show that employment tribunal claims are continuing to increase. That means the threat of being taken to a tribunal by employees, or ex-employees, is as high as ever for employers.
- Single claims are up 165% on the same quarter in 2017.
- Compared to the previous quarter (January-March 2018) there has been a 23% increase in claims.
- 74% of claimants were legally represented in 2017/18.
- The most common claim heard by the tribunal was against unauthorised deductions from wages.
Other significant increases:
- Pregnancy detriment or dismissal - 68% increase
- Sexual orientation discrimination - 120% increase
- National minimum wage - 159% increase
What can employers do?
- Seek legal advice and guidance before taking any action against employees.
- Have the correct documentation in place to support any actions made (such as a deductions agreement before making wage deductions).