The Code provides minimum standards in the following areas:
- General holidays and pay
- Statutory holidays and pay
- Hours of work and rest periods
- Overtime hours and overtime pay
- Job-protected leaves (e.g., personal and family responsibility leave / sick leave, maternity leave, parental leave, etc.)
- Minimum wage
- Earning deductions
- Payment of earnings
- Temporary layoffs
- Employee terminations and pay
- Vacation entitlement and vacation pay
- Youth employment laws
At the very minimum, you must understand the basic employment standards to provide employees their rights and to fulfill your duties as an employer.
Unlimited Advice on Alberta’s Employment Standards Code
Call our complimentary Peninsula employer helpline for information on Alberta’s Employment Standards Code. We are dedicated to supporting small business owners with employer advice, employment rights, and any human resources concerns.
Speak with our HR experts anytime: 1 (833) 247-3652.