Do you need early conciliation representation?
Are you facing the prospect of a tribunal claim by an employee, past or present? Do you need help with professional representation through the early conciliation process, to try and stop the claim from becoming a reality?
Peninsula has over 30 years of experience in Employment Law, with experts on hand to step in at the first stages of a tribunal.
What is early conciliation?
Early conciliation is the confidential process offered by the Advisory, Conciliatory and Arbitration Service (ACAS) to settle a workplace dispute before it goes to an employment tribunal.
When an employee wishes to make a tribunal claim, they must first contact ACAS (Advisory, Conciliatory and Arbitration Service). Without this initial procedure, a tribunal claim will not be accepted.
Why? Well, because ACAS must offer the potential claimant the chance for early conciliation – to settle a dispute before a claim can be initiated.
How does it work?
- The employee contacts ACAS to register their intent to make a claim
- ACAS will try to contact the potential claimant to offer their conciliation services – although they’re under no obligation to accept this offer
- If the employee/ex-employee does want to try conciliation, ACAS will contact the employer to let them know a claim is being considered against them, and that they’d like to try and settle the matter before it goes to tribunal
- If you agree to enter into conciliation discussions, ACAS will attempt to find a resolution
If conciliation succeeds, the dispute ends and a tribunal claim can’t be progressed.
If it fails, or if either party refuses to go down the conciliation route, the potential claimant can progress with their tribunal claim.
How can we help?
Peninsula is here to act as your representative throughout the entire early conciliation process. Just let us know that ACAS have contacted you, and we’ll do the rest.
Your assigned advisor will:
- Speak to ACAS on your behalf
- Advise whether a settlement is the best route for you – which it may not be.
- If conciliation is considered the best way forward, we’ll assess the value of the potential claim and advise you on an appropriate settlement amount
If you’d like to request representation throughout the early conciliation process, please call our experts on 0800 028 2420 and we’ll be delighted to help.