Your Payroll Questions Answered - Overseas Employees

  • Pay & Benefits
Peninsula Logo

Peninsula Group, HR and Health & Safety Experts

(Last updated )

Read our article: 'Your Payroll Questions Answered - Overseas Employees'. Contact us today for more information about our Employment Law, Health & Safety, and HR services.

Q&A Overseas Employees Q. My UK resident employee is going to work abroad for an overseas branch of the company. What steps do I need to take? A.

  1. A letter needs to be sent to the HMRC detailing the date the employee went abroad, as well as the gross pay paid and the tax deducted whilst in employment from the 6th April of the current tax year to the date the employee went abroad.
  2. If the employee is moving abroad permanently then a P45 needs to be produced, with all parts being submitted online.
  3. If the employee is working more than a complete tax year and/or is not planning to return to the UK then a P85 form will need to be completed and submitted.
  4. Two employee records can be run for the employee – one for the UK payroll paid up to departure on a cumulative tax code, and one for earnings done for departure on an NT tax code. The HMRC must first however notify you if an NT tax code is to be used for overseas earnings, and you must notify the HMRC that you will be running two separate records for the same employee. Two P14s will then need to be filed for both records.

  Q. What steps do I need to take if my employee is returning back to live in the UK from an overseas branch of the company, and to work at the UK branch? A.

  1. Inform the HMRC of the employee’s return
  2. Provide a P46 for the employee to complete (which will take them off an NT tax code) and operate PAYE.
  3. Overseas tax authorities may get in touch about making foreign tax deductions. If this happens, it is advisable to contact the HMRC.

Q. What steps do I need to take if my non-UK resident employee has been seconded to a UK branch of the company? A.

  1. The employee must fill in form P46(expat) to complete section 1. Section 2 is then completed by the employer and sent online to the HMRC.
  2. If the employee has entered X in the European Economic Area citizen box on the section one of form P46(expat), then it is the case that the emergency tax code on a cumulative basis (e.g. 944L) must be applied even if the employee has indicated B or C on the P46(expat)
  3. UK PAYE is applied to the employee.

Q. What would I do if I employ an employee who is a UK non-resident and working entirely outside of the UK? A.

  1. You would still operate PAYE for the employee (with a few exceptions)
  2. Use tax code NT for the employee, which will be issued by the HMRC
  3. There are no P14s to submit, and no entry on the P35 for the employee.
  4. The employee will not be liable to National Insurance Contributions.

Clients can reach this service by dialing 0844 892 2772, and choosing Option 3. This service is available from Monday – Friday between 9am and 6pm.


Got a question? Check whether we’ve already answered it for you…

Related articles

  • Two construction workers (one man, one woman) wearing high-vis jackets and helmets looking at a tablet.


    Four reasons why employers pay women less

    Four out of five employers pay women less than men, according to the Guardian’s analysis of the government’s gender pay gap reporting.

    Kate PalmerHR Advice and Consultancy Director
    • Pay & Benefits
  • Two women in business attire sat at a desk in conversation


    Good Work Plan 2.0

    In July 2017, Matthew Taylor released his “Good work: the Taylor review of modern working practices” report.

    Peninsula GroupHR and Health & Safety Experts
    • Employment Contract
  • A small desk clock with someone working an a computer in the background


    Do staff lose an hours’ pay when clocks go forward?

    It’s that time of year again. As we jump into spring, time jumps with us. We know that at 1am on 26th March, we all ‘lose’ an hour of our day. But what does this mean for the working day?

    Alan PriceChief Operations Officer
    • Employment Contract
Back to resource hub

Try Peninsula for free today

See for yourself why Peninsula is the UK’s favourite HR and health & safety provider. Tap below to unlock free advice, policies, e-learning, and more.

Sign up to our newsletter

Get the latest news & tips that matter most to your business in our monthly newsletter.

International sites

© 2023 Peninsula Business Services Limited. Registered Office: The Peninsula, Victoria Place, Manchester, M4 4FB. Registered in England and Wales No: 1702759. Peninsula Business Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the sale of non-investment insurance contracts.

ISO 27001 and 9001 accredited company.
The Sunday Times - Top Track 250.
Glassdoor 2018 Best Places To Work.