Expert agriculture and horticulture support
From farmers to gardeners, we support thousands of business owners across the UK to stay safe and compliant.
If you’d like to outsource your health & safety and HR to the experts, we’ll help you save time and cut risk.
Working in agriculture and horticulture can be dangerous…
Whether you’re dealing with animals or heavy machinery, the agriculture and horticulture industry can be risky. In fact, the industry accounts for around 19% of fatal injuries each year.
With over 12,000 workers suffering from non-fatal injuries every year, there’s lots of rules and regulations you need to maintain. Along with meeting HSE requirements, you also need to follow guidelines set out by:
- Rural Payments Agency
- Environment Agency
- Animal and Plant Health Agency
- Department for Environment
- Food & Rural Affairs
- Veterinary Medicines Directorate
And as an employer, it’s up to you to make sure all these rules are met. You’ll need to make sure your farm and equipment is fully compliant and safe to use – and if you don’t, you could face a legal claim.
If you’d like to keep your people safe in confidence, Peninsula is here to help. We’ll take care of your health & safety policies, carry out your risk assessments, and offer 24/7 advice – whenever you need support.
We have been incredibly grateful to Peninsula for their support. Running an animal sanctuary can be complex when it comes to health and safety and we have been supported in so many ways. The portal is a great resource and keeps our documentation safe and the H&S consultant is always on hand for advice and support.
Elaine Hayes - Chief Executive
Ferne Animal Sanctuary
See how our health & safety and HR services can make life simple:
On-site audit and risk assessment
A qualified consultant will visit your farm or grounds and provide the support you need to stay safe.
- Straightforward, jargon-free advice – you want to get on with what you do best, so we’ll keep things simple.
- Keep your workers safe – we’ll identify hazards so you can avoid accidents and injuries.
- Meet every requirement – from HSE to the Environment Agency rules, you can be confident you’re compliant with the law.
Policies and documentation
We’ll write your health & safety and HR policies for you – saving you time and effort.
- Expert guidance– provide your workers with practical rules to stay safe.
- Leave the hard work to us – we’ll take care of the time-consuming paperwork.
- Legally compliant policies – avoid disputes and claims with our watertight documentation.
Get the reassurance and advice you need for each year of your service.
- Annual check-ins – however regulations change, we’ll make sure you’re always compliant.
- Expert advice – our consultants are fully qualified to handle any concern or query.
BrightSafe software helps you keep on top of your health & safety duties.
- Create risk assessments – save time with our step-by-step guides and templates.
- Safely store policies – never lose track of your guidelines with our secure system.
- Stay up-to-date with rules – learn the latest guidance and boost your skills online.
BrightSafe health & safety app
Manage your health & safety tasks on the go with the BrightSafe app.
- Identify hazards in real-time – and instantly know whether you need to act.
- See which assessments need completing – so you will never miss a deadline.
- Complete e-learning courses on the go – at a time that suits you.
- Speak to experts instantly – wherever you are.
24/7 advice service
Enjoy access to unlimited 24/7 health & safety or HR advice from our consultants.
- Call as many times as you need – we won’t put a cap on the support you can receive.
- 24/7 support – whether it’s first thing in the morning or the middle of the night, you can call any time.
- UK-based advisors – enjoy quality advice from a consultant who’s local to you.
We’ll help you remove the risk of asbestos from your premises.
- We can carry out your Asbestos Management Plan on your behalf.
- Our health & safety experts will talk you through your best course of action.
We’ll make sure you meet ISO requirements – and we can help you become accredited, too.
- We follow ISO 45001 standards – so you never need to worry about failing a health & safety inspection.
- Become ISO accredited – our consultants can provide feedback and guidance to help you with your qualification.
Managing risks is simple with BrightSafe
Taking care of health & safety in agriculture or horticulture isn’t easy. From machinery to animals, there’s always a hazard you need to reduce and manage.
That’s why our consultants have specialist experience to support you with the daily risks you face. And they’re all members of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM) – meaning you can feel confident you’re meeting the law.
And with BrightSafe, it’s simple to stay on top of your health & safety. You can instantly review risks, keep your health & safety policies in one place, and get advice at the touch of a button.
Our experts take the HR off your shoulders
There’s more to life than dealing with paperwork and employment regulations. Without dedicated HR support, managing any staff concerns could get in the way of what you do best.
To help you save time, we can help you with common HR issues in agriculture:
- Making sure minimum wage is paid
- Understanding when to prioritise agricultural laws over general employment law
- Checking whether employees have the right to work in the UK
- Dealing with shortages of work
- Managing overtime
And that’s not all. Whether you’re dealing with a redundancy or tribunal case, we’re here to support you with any employment issue.
With access to our 24/7 helpline, you can speak to a qualified consultant whenever you like. Plus, you can save time with our HR software and outsource all your employee paperwork to us.