VAT Question & Answer

  • Business Advice
Peninsula Logo

Peninsula Group, HR and Health & Safety Experts

(Last updated )

Read our article: 'VAT Question & Answer'. Contact us today for more information about our Employment Law, Health & Safety, and HR services.

Q: I invoiced a customer for goods costing £10,000 in September 2011 and I have not been paid.  I have accounted for output tax to HMRC. Can I issue a credit note to reclaim the unpaid VAT? 

A: You cannot issue a credit note to a customer for unpaid VAT simply because you have not been paid for a supply of goods.  A credit note is only issued where there is a genuine mistake or overcharge in the value of a supply.

However, if a business has made supplies of goods or services to a customer and has not been paid, it can claim bad debt relief in respect of the unpaid VAT provided that certain conditions are met. The relief depends upon the supply being written off as a bad debt in the books of the company and a period of six months having elapsed since the date payment became due. 

Before making a claim a business must meet the following conditions:

• You must have already accounted for output tax on your supplies and paid it to HMRC;
• The debt is written off in your day to day VAT records and is transferred to a separate bad debt account;
• The value of the supply must not be more than its customary selling price;
• The debt must not have been paid, sold or factored under a valid legal assignment;
• The debt must have remained unpaid for a period of six months after the later of when payment was due and payable and the date of the supply.

If all of the above conditions are met, and the six months have passed you can make a claim for bad debt relief. Any claim must be made within four years and six months of the later of, when payment is due and payable or the date of supply.
To claim a refund you include the VAT in box 4 of the VAT return covering the period in which you can make the claim.
You should keep a record of the claim being made so that if HMRC check your claim you can show them how it was calculated. 

The records should include:

- A copy of the VAT invoices for the supplies on which you are claiming a refund 

- A separate bad debt account showing the:

(a) amount you have written off as a bad debt;
(b) amount of VAT you wish to claim as bad debt relief;
(c) VAT period in which you have claimed a refund;
(d) total amount of VAT charged on each supply;
(e) VAT period in which you originally accounted for;
(f) payment received for each supply;
(g) name of your customer; and
(h) date and number of the invoice to which the bad debt relates.
If following a claim, the bad debt is paid; any refund received from HMRC must be repaid to them.

For any further information on any of the issues outlined in this piece, please call the Advice Service on 01455 852555.


Got a question? Check whether we’ve already answered it for you…

Related articles

  • A man in a suit reading from a tablet while in an office setting


    Strike action contributes to 0.5% shrink in UK economy

    The UK economy contracted by 0.5% in July, with falls in all three main sectors, according to data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS)

    Peninsula Team Peninsula Team
    • Business Advice
  • Director loses £80k tax appeal


    Director loses £80k tax appeal

    A director has lost a First Tier Tribunal (FTT) appeal against penalties charged by HMRC for VAT and corporation tax inaccuracies, which totalled £80,666.31.

    Peninsula TeamPeninsula Team
    • Employment Law
  • colleagues gathered round a laptop


    Here’s what I know: AI should assist not ascend

    Is AI a good thing? Or is its growing popularity something for us to worry about?

    Peter DoneGroup Managing Director and Founder
    • Data Protection
Back to resource hub

Try Brainbox for free today

When AI meets 40 years of Peninsula expertise... you get instant, expert answers to your HR and health & safety questions

Sign up to our newsletter

Get the latest news & tips that matter most to your business in our monthly newsletter.

International sites

© 2023 Peninsula Business Services Limited. Registered Office: The Peninsula, Victoria Place, Manchester, M4 4FB. Registered in England and Wales No: 1702759. Peninsula Business Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the sale of non-investment insurance contracts.

ISO 27001 and 9001 accredited company.
The Sunday Times - Top Track 250.
Glassdoor 2018 Best Places To Work.